Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Blogging with a flourish

To flourish is to grow vigourously, thrive, prosper or be successful. These grape hyacinths have really flourished since I first planted them.

Flourishing something is to brandish it or wave it vigourously, or to show it ostentaisiously. An elaborate expression, rhetorical embelishement or ornamentally curved handwriting could all be considered to add a flourish to your writing. (But not necessarily, especially those first two)

A fanfare played on brass is sometimes known as a flourish, as is an improvised addition at the end of a musical composition.

I hope you're well, in top form and a real flourisher!

If you can write a romance with a dramatic, pulse racing flourish you might want to take a look at Pulse. They have several calls for short story submissions. They pay £30 plus a share of any commision.

Want some inspiration? Then try these 'workshops'. Thanks to Anne Rainbow for sending me the link.

A film credit would add a flourish to your poetry c.v. The chance to win that is here.

18 comments:

  1. The post man pushed the rejections through the letterbox with a flourish... How's that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Wendy - we have a postman like that .. they flourish the bills through the door! Good word Patsy ... life is coming up roses down here - bliss Spring is with us and everything is flourishing ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what my dad calls good growing weather at the moment, Hilary - rain and sun.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the links which look really interesting, especially the screenplay opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No flourish in my handwriting. It's a mess and I barely remember how to do cursive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it possible to over-flourish? Because my neighbor gave me a few grape hyacinth bulbs several years ago, and they have practically taken over the garden. I do love them, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some plants do seem to over flourish, Linda. At least in this case they're pretty.

      Delete
  6. I think women are natural flourishers.... if that's a proper use of the word. LOL. Beautiful pic of the grape hyacinths, Patsy. There one of my grandmother's favorites, but hers haven't been able to take lately. I'll have her take a peek at yours and live vicariously through the image. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more you could show her on my gardening blog - http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/feeling-blue.html

      Delete
  7. Did you know that the first known use of 'flourish' was circa 1552? ( I didn't know that. I 'Googled' it!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know, Jan. Can't have been coined to describe the king of the time as her certainly wasn't a flourisher.

      Delete
  8. May you flourish! for sharing such a nice word! :) Cheers Patsy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patsy, you must depnd your life searching for competitions (and saving the rest of us the bother!). How on earth do you do it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! (moderation is enabled to avoid spam, so your comment may not appear immediately)