Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Scarred for life

A scar is the mark left on our skin after a wound has healed, or on our mind after an unpleasant event. If I were to show you a photo of my operation scars* while the staples were still in, I reckon you'd be scarred (and maybe scared too)

A scar also the mark left on a plant stem after a leaf is removed. Plants can be scarred deliberately, by scratching them. When I was a kid, my dad scratched my and my brother's names on tiny marrows in letters so small we couldn't see them until the fruit swelled and the scars were clearly visible.

A scar is also a steep cliff or outcrop of rock. I think the word escarpment may be connected, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if this bit of rock is actually a scar**, but it's a nice picture isn't it?

*It was a long time ago, there's not much to see now.

** Geography was never my strong point.

28 comments:

  1. An old gardener did that for us as well, like magic watching our names growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the simplest things make a big impression, don't they, Suzy?

      Delete
  2. I've never seen that done with fruit, but it sounds really interesting! Wonderful photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so interesting! Now I want to try that with my kids! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it, Rachel. The only difficult part is remembering to do it when the fruit are tiny.

      Delete
  4. When I was eighteen, I used to dance to scar music... oh no, that was ska!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter and her OH scratched their names - and a heart, of course - into a cactus on their roof terrace. Do you think Scarsdale is a scarred valley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an exotic version, Lizy.

      I'd guess Scarsdale is home to a few of the rocky kind of scars, but as I say, geography isn't my strong point.

      Delete
  6. The highest I've ever climbed was Scarfell. I guess that's why it is so called. Not sure I could do,it now, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it must be named after the scars - or maybe scars were named after it?

      Delete
  7. Love the story about the marrows, Patsy. I can imagine the excitement you and your brothers must have felt once you saw your names! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were easily pleased in those days, Jan.

      Delete
  8. Cool about your names on the marrows--that must have been fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And there's scarface who appears now and then in books and a moivie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Scarface, but not read the books, Oscar.

      Delete
  10. Great photo - and I liked the marrow story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Atmospheric photo. I love the word 'scar' - it rolls off the tongue. Think I will use it in my next story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photo .. and gosh haven't we been scared this year, but that scary weather .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather and its results must have been terrifying for a lot of people, Hilary.

      Delete
  13. Indeed a nice photo and interesting stuff to know about a 'Scar' :) Cheers!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!