Wednesday 25 May 2016

Stray

Stray can mean to wander from the right place (e.g. don't stray off the path) or to deviate morally (she promised to be faithful, but strayed with at least three of his golfing buddies, a caddy, the chaps in the pro shop and the club barmaid). In that case she could be described as straying or having gone astray (and no doubt called worse things by her husband!).

 It can also be a person or thing which has strayed or become lost (I think this dog was a a stray). Stray is also some weird sciency thing which interferes with radio reception, or it can be something isolated or unusual (e.g. most bluebells are blue, but sometimes you see a stray white one).

6 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Patsy - and getting strayed off one's purpose in life ... it's a good word, but I need to rein myself in!! ... cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd give that woman another word than stray...

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I have no wise acre remark today :(

Nicola said...

I tend to stray - a lot :) Lovely picture. Now that's the life :)

Susan A Eames said...

My other writing projects certainly went astray during the April A-Z Challenge. I'm now trying to stray in the right (or is that 'write'?) direction.

Susan A Eames said...

My other writing projects certainly went astray during the April A-Z Challenge. I'm now trying to stray in the right (or is that 'write'?) direction.