Wednesday, 5 April 2017

Thanks, IWSG

The Insecure Writer's Support Group exists to allows writers to share their insecurities and to offer support to others.

A few months ago I made a post saying I had so many projects on the go that I was spending more time deciding which to work on than I was on writing. Thanks to the great responses I got, I was able to prioritise and do some actual writing.

The one I tackled first, Leave Nothing But Footprints, was for a competition. I 'only' had to get the first chapter and outline done by the end of last month. Whilst I wait for the results, I'm going to move onto somehing else for a while. Whatever the result, having a bit of distance from the story will be a good thing. To be honest, my chances of success in that competition are very slim, but having got my entry sorted out in time feels like a real achievement and has given me a confidence boost.

Have you ever asked for help with anything writing related and got a response which has helped you produce a result you're pleased with?

14 comments:

  1. Even if you don't win, you have the outline and first chapter and can continue to work on it when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ask for help all the time. Thank goodness for great beta readers and a fabulous editors. Don't know if I could do it with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't write as well without my critique buddies.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the contest. Like Alex already said, even if you don’t win at least you have something to continue to work on
    I’m on Scribophile and they’re very helpful in providing insight critiques to help improve a story. Even created threads in the forums to ask for help to get better understanding of subjects/events/etc I’m not familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lidy - you're right that I now have something to work on.

      Delete
  4. All the best with the contest. I ask help with brainstorming stories and get a different perspective which in turn in a great help to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideas seem to create more ideas, don't they?

      Delete
  5. Hi Patsy - the IWSG seems to offer a lot of support and has some great ideas ... good for you ... cheers for now - Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/e-is-for-extinct-animals-and-endangered.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually "invested" in a current project by hiring an editor. I'm delighted to say that while the results required a lot of work on my part, I know the story is much better as a result. Glad IWSG helped you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad youe investment proved worthwhile, Liza.

      Delete
  7. If putting distance between me and my stories is a good thing then someday I might turn out some masterpieces. I guess I need to get more focused on that someday thing.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suppose it might be possible to have too much distance, Arlee!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!