Sunday, 9 April 2017

Third Word

The Third Word run a twice monthly flash fiction competition. It's free to enter, they only want 80 words and you can send multiple entries. There's a £20 prize each fortnight, plus the chance of publication.

It's hard to illustrate a competition where you can write about whatever you like, so here's a photo of something I like. I'll be extremly impressed if you work it into your winning story.

How do you feel about such tight words counts? Do they encourage you to have a go, or put you off?

15 comments:

  1. 80 words is certainly a challenge, but since I started writing 200 word flash stories I think it's made it harder for me to write longer pieces, so I won't be trying this one! :)

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patsy, I cannot write anything under 300 words. I'm a bit of an introvert verbally. But when writing I just can't stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit the same, Stepen. Maybe this will help get me out of that habit?

      Delete
  3. I enjoy this kind of writing challenge so I'll go and check it out, Patsy - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following on from the earlier comments - sounds from the website as tho' this doesn't have to be an actual flash fiction story. Entries can be part of a longer work. Think I'll give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try that too, Kath - could be an interesting exercise.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Patsy. This is an interesting challenge! Might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A challenge I might have to follow up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having read the small print I see that entrants hand over all rights to Third Word. Submitting an excerpt in particular might therefore put future publication in jeapordy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not exclusive rights, Liz, so shouldn't be a problem (although of course everyone should check first in case wherever they intend to submit might object). In fact being able to say a part pf the work is prizewinning could be an advantage.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!