Sunday, 2 July 2017

Limericks in limerick

The Limerick literary festival will include a limerick competition. There's a €500 prize and it's free to enter. The 'rules and guidlines' contain useful information about the structure of a limerick and tips on crafting a good one.

The only very slight snag is that to compete in the final, you'll have to go to Limerick.  

I'm not suggesting that going to Limerick is in any way a bad thing, but the date might not be convenient for everyone. I'll be elsewhere at the time myself, so can't enter. That's a pity, because I've already made a start. Perhaps you'd like to help me finish it?

There was an odd writer with a campervan
Whose poems hardly ever properly scan
...

12 comments:

  1. Hi Patsy - limericks and poetry writing do not suit me ... a trip to Limerick might ... but the 'old lady writer in the camper van' won't take me! Pity as I wrote one recently ... another would be stretching my mind too much! Cheers enjoy those travels- Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A break between poems is probably a good idea, Hilary. I take about three years to recover.

      Delete
  2. There was an odd writer with a campervan
    Whose poems hardly ever properly scan
    When I asked that man
    Why his rhymes never scan
    He said, Well it's like this - I try to get as many words into a line as I possibly can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to have entered but as you rightly say, Patsy, it won't suit everyone having to go to Limerick (unfortunately)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long way for you to travel, Rosemary.

      Delete
  4. So she set us a task
    Which was quite a big ask
    And I'm not going to finish it. You can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good, Maggie – and very sensible.

      Delete
  5. She had no time
    To finish the rhyme
    She was driving to Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be a fair trek – further than Limerick!

      Delete
  6. We're actually going to Ireland on 7 August and returning on 17 August, so it might work for me. However, I would have to write a Limerick first. Poetry is not my strong point.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!